Missouri Veterans Commission News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 20, 2018
The Missouri Veterans Commission is taking a major step forward to modernize its Veterans Homes in St. Louis, St. James and Cape Girardeau, today announcing the award of design contracts for over $35 million in upcoming construction projects. The construction projects will be 65 percent federally funded by the Department of Veterans Affairs with the remaining 35 percent funded by the state.
“We are excited to see these Veterans Homes projects now moving forward with design,” said Missouri Veterans Commission’s Executive Director Grace Link. “Modern high-quality facilities not only better accommodate our Veterans and make their lives more comfortable, they allow us to provide higher quality care for our nation’s heroes.”
The Office of Administration’s Division of Facilities Management, Design and Construction is the contract holder for the Missouri Veterans Commission and awarded the following design contracts:
St. Louis Veterans Home: Major renovation, including conversion to all single-occupancy rooms with private restrooms and the addition of a new chapel. Design will utilize the existing facility layout and follow the Veterans Administration’s “small house design” concept for Veterans Homes. Contract awarded to Cannon Design, of St. Louis.
“This will create a more open floor space and greater privacy, which will create a family environment in a home-like atmosphere at the St. Louis Home,” said Link. “This will be a first of its kind for a Missouri Veterans Home.”
St. Louis Veterans Home: New pavilion for Veterans’ outdoor activities and functions and an addition to the home for indoor recreation and functions. Contract awarded to Kuhlman Design Group, Inc., of St. Louis.
Cape Girardeau Veterans Home: Renovation of the existing facility, and modernization of Veterans’ rooms, including new flooring, upgraded windows and other improvements. Contract awarded to Farnsworth Group, of St. Louis.
St. James Veterans Home: Renovation of the existing facility and modernization of Veterans’ rooms, including new flooring, and construction of a solarium. Contract awarded to Easterly-Schneider Associates, of Springfield, Mo.
The Missouri Veterans Commission, a division of the Department of Public Safety, operates seven State Veterans Homes, five State Veterans Cemeteries, and the Veterans Services Program. The Commission is committed to honoring and serving Missouri’s Veterans whose dedication and sacrifices have preserved our nation and its freedoms. For more information about the Missouri Veterans Commission programs, call (573) 751-3779, online at http://www.mvc.dps.mo.gov, or facebook.com/MissouriVeteransCommission.
For more information, call 573-522-1421 or e-mail Daniel.Bell@mvc.dps.mo.gov